Monday, November 9, 2009

Senior Field - Mrs. Hortin's 3rd Grade

So, I have been in Mrs. Hortin's 3rd grade class for 3 days now and have had a couple of opportunities to teach something here and there. I am also in the process of preparing my Math lessons and Literacy lessons and as I was doing so tonight, I realized that the anxiety and nervousness I expected to feel at the prospect of teaching, isn't accompanying me like it was in previous experiences. Instead, I am excited and hopeful and anxious to reflect on how the lessons go and what I can do to improve. I really was doubtful when I heard Dr. Peterson say to us that we wouldn't want to come back to class - that we would want to stay and continue teaching. Honestly, I thought, no way!! I could likely stay in the classroom where I am comfortable for several more months - maybe years. Strangely, and rather surprisingly, something has changed (and I haven't even taught my "real" lessons yet), and I feel more prepared to teach...and more comfortable with the idea of teaching. I know there is still tons to learn, (and there always will be more to learn), so I am grateful for the remaining class time I have to learn from the "experts", but I am also so grateful for the feeling of comfort that has replaced the fear and anxiousness I have had continually about teaching.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

Hey.... good for YOU! ... realizing that "something has changed." Yup. You became a teacher. Isn't it amazing? It's actually a miracle, the way I look at it, and I love being 'in the loop' every time this miracle occurs! 4 points