Wednesday, October 28, 2009

RANT Blog!..ending on a positive!

Well, I imagine like other people in the class my biggest rant is just the huge feeling of overwhelmedness. (Probably not a word but if you're ranting, I think it's fair to make up words). I know I shouldn't feel as overwhelmed as I do. Thanks to organized, thoughtful Erica, we have a nice, printed out list of all of our assignments for field. And thanks to my wonderful employment (which I really do appreciate), and their inability to accomodate my 3 weeks and then 50 days off for field and student teaching, I no longer, as of today, have work to worry about. (AND I am thrilled about this because it is the closest I have been, and maybe will ever be to being a stay-at-home). Nevertheless, I am feeling overwhelmed with all that is coming up. I probably need a much-needed, long over-due, stress-eliminating run. I haven't gone for a run in over 2 weeks - (and I have learned to like, no...more like NEED running! - It's my inexpensive therapy).

Having just expressed how overwhelmed I am, and having overheard (and likely been heard) venting about the program, teachers, assignments, etc., I am certain that all that negativity has to come from us just feeling burned out and overwhelemed. Overall, I love the program, think it is wonderful and am proud to be a future graduate of the UVU program. I think the teachers in the education program do a great job of teaching the best they can, according to how we learn to teach. It is easy to be on our side and cast judgements, disagree and be negative but one day soon, we are going to be wearing the shoes of those we judged and were so critical of. I hate to think what parents, students, and coworkers could critique me on as a first year teacher (and for all the years after). Reminding myself of this gives me more patience and tolerance (on most days). I wish all others had this insight. The negativity doesn't do much for anybody.

SO, having said that I don't want to end on just the rants. So, here's some bits of good news!!

1. Next week I get to have a short reunion with my family in Las Vegas as we get together for my cousin's (who is much like a sister to me) wedding. I am thrilled about that and looking forward to the little HURRAH! right before field.

2. Our family is growing. I recently found out that I am pregnant and we are expecting...and the timing is perfect! End of May or sometime June. I will be graduated, with my degree (hopefully), and will have a couple months home before going into the teaching world. (Assuming I have to financially).

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

Congratulations on ALL of your good news, and also, for ranting in such a gentle way. It's usually pretty difficult to feel good about the "medicine" when we're trying to swallow it whole... but if we break it into little bits, we can handle it, right? 4 points