Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Inventories & Preassessments

FULFILLING the PROMISE pp.100-103

I would use the "Student Profile Survey" to get a feeling for the environment each student prefers to learn in as well as the way they work best. Then, based on that information, I would be sure to create an environment that met each students needs, (to the best of my ability). One such example is the statement that reads, "Need quiet/ (or noise) when I work". Although it would be impossible to have noise and quiet at the same time, I would be sure to have work-times when there was music or something, and then have work times when it was quiet as well. This survey is a tool that provides the teacher with insight as to the differences among the students in his/her class in order to guide and strive to meet each students individual needs. In my school experience I don't ever remember completing a survey such as this, however as a future teacher, desiring to know the most I can about my students in order to effectively guide them in their learning, I think this survey would be extremely valuable.



The "Student Interest Survey" I would use to help me find out the interests of each of my students. As we've discussed and read, we can NOT differentiate if we aren't aware of our students' interests. This survey gives the students a chance to not only highlight their interests, but gives insight into potential weaknesses or difficult areas for student, areas they would enjoy learning more about, etc. As a teacher you could use that information to differentiate the instruction for your students. In my own experience, I do recall having taken similar surveys, however I don't remember them being as extensive as this survey; including questions about what I found hard and what I would like to learn more about. As for what I would add or remove from the survey's, I honestly, after reviewing them several times, think they are both very thorough and don't think I would take from or add anything to either of them.



After reading through the "File of Inventories/Pre-assessments", the inventories that I think I would be able to use for ST (which I am guessing means Student Teaching), would include the "Problem-Solving Rubric". I am positive that during my time student teaching I will have the students do activities, etc. in groups and this pre-assessment seems like it would be helpful. I also think using the Mathematics Self-Assessment would be helpful, (even for use in this coming field experience when we have to teach 3-5 lessons). Having an idea of where and how a student sees themselves in relation to subjects they are learning, especially Math, is important because so many students struggle with math, or write themselves off as not "math people." Having a self-evaluation would guide the teacher in finding those students who think they "can't do it" and who have the attitude of "math is not for me" and using that information to guide instruction, and hopefully, after several successful activites with Math, changing that student's attitude toward math. In addition, I think several of the other "readiness" pre-assessments would be very beneficial. (I explain a bit more on this below). I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the learning profiles in "Fulfilling the Promise" and while I am not sure my cooperating teacher would find it appropriate for me to hand out one of these in the middle of the year when I start student teaching, (she did an interest survey the 1st day - although it was no way near as thorough), I would definitely use 1, both, or a combination of these surveys the 1st day in my own classroom.

While reviewing and reading through these inventories and pre-assessments, it dawned on me how critical these types of tools are. As we have progressed through our classes, we have learned how important the "assessment" is in our lesson plans in order to guide our instruction from that point - that it's not so much just to give a grade. After reviewing the material assigned for this week, I have a clear vision of just how valuable these types of inventories and pre-assessments are in helping us acheive the goal of becoming differentiating teachers and I am grateful that you made us aware of these resources and that they are available.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I was so thrilled to read your "ahas! Not everyone is there yet... realizing that you CAN use these kinds of inventories to guide your instruction rather than giving grades.... and this could lead to better grades on more accurate and "grade-able" criteria! Excellent, thorough responses! 4 points